The discovery of the phospholipase A2 receptor 1 (PLA2R1) and thrombospondin type-1 domain-containing 7A (THSD7A) as target antigens in membranous nephropathy (MN) has led to a major progress in the understanding of the pathophysiology of the disease. The immunologic targets in the kidneys can now be investigated in more detail, while antibody levels serve as clinical markers allowing a better differential diagnosis and helping to assess treatment response and prognosis of patients with MN.
Now for almost 80% of patients with MN a pathogenesis-related diagnosis can be made. However, in the remaining 20% of patients the pathomechanisms of disease remain unclear and their clinical course is unpredictable. Thus, their pathophysiology should be better defined.
Even though PLA2R1 and THSD7A are now characterized antigens in primary MN, it is still unclear, why they serve as targets of the immune system and which roles the molecules have in the disease onset and the glomerular pathobiology. Furthermore, it is still not defined which role the IgG4 subtype plays in the activation of the complement system, which plays a dominant role in the mediation of MN. Therefore, the identification of additional target antigens in PLA2R1 and THSD7A antibody negative patients, the characterization of the pathogenetic role of these known antigens and the mechanisms, how complement is activated are the aims of this project. It is the long-term objective to characterize for each patient with MN its molecular pathogenesis in order to develop a tailored treatment strategy to make end-stage renal disease in these patients a history.
Mahmud M, Pinnschmidt HO, Reinhard L, Harendza S, Wiech T, Stahl RAK, Hoxha E PLoS One. 2019 Sep
Wiech T, Stahl RAK, Hoxha E Mod Pathol. 2019 Sep
Person F, Rinschen M, Brix S, Wulf S, Noriega M, Fehrle W, Schmitz J, Schwarz A, Ivanyi P, Steinmetz O, Reinhard L, Hoxha E, Zipfel P, Bräsen J, Wiech TMod Pathol. 2018 Dec
von Haxthausen F, Reinhard L, Pinnschmidt HO, Rink M, Soave A, Hoxha E, Stahl RAKFront Immunol. 2018 Dec
Stahl RAK, Reinhard L, Hoxha E.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2018 Nov
Gupta S, Köttgen A, Hoxha E, Brenchley P, Bockenhauer D, Stanescu HC, Kleta R.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2018 Sep
Seifert L, Hoxha E, Eichhoff AM, Zahner G, Dehde S, Reinhard L, Koch-Nolte F, Stahl RAK, Tomas NMJ Am Soc Nephrol. 2018 May
Dettmar A, Wiech T, Kemper M, Soave A, Rink M, Oh J, Stahl R, Hoxha E Pediatr Nephrol. 2018 Mar
Tomas N, Meyer-Schwesinger C, von Spiegel H, Kotb A, Zahner G, Hoxha E, Helmchen U, Endlich N, Koch-Nolte F, Stahl R J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Nov
Hoxha E, Stahl RAK.Semin Nephrol. 2017 Sep
Hoxha E, von Haxthausen F, Wiech T, Stahl RPflugers Arch. 2017 Aug
Stahl P, Hoxha E, Wiech T, Schröder C, Simon R, Stahl R Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2017 Apr
Hoxha E, Beck L, Wiech T, Tomas N, Probst C, Mindorf S, Meyer-Schwesinger C, Zahner G, Stahl P, Schöpper R, Panzer U, Harendza S, Helmchen U, Salant D, Stahl R J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Feb
Tomas NM, Hoxha E, Reinicke AT, Fester L, Helmchen U, Gerth J, Bachmann F, Budde K, Koch-Nolte F, Zahner G, Rune G, Lambeau G, Meyer-Schwesinger C, Stahl RA.J Clin Invest. 2016 Jul
Hoxha E, Wiech T, Stahl PR, Zahner G, Tomas NM, Meyer-Schwesinger C, Wenzel U, Janneck M, Steinmetz OM, Panzer U, Harendza S, Stahl RAN Engl J Med. 2016 May